Bellingen Readers and Writers Festival 2017
Exciting new position – Mid North Coast Arts/Cultural Festival Strategist
The Mid North Coast is a wonderfully creative area as well as one of outstanding natural beauty. Bellingen, in particular, is known for its festivals. Two long running small festivals, The Bellingen Music Festival (BMF) and The Bellingen Readers & Writers Festival (BRWF) have combined to win a grant from Regional Arts NSW to contract an experienced arts administrator/professional to support these festivals and help move them onto a more sustainable footing. We are looking for a dynamic person with a strong interest and experience in the arts for this exciting position.
It is envisioned that this position will be filled by the end of January. The contract is for two years and about $9,000 per annum is available.
• providing advice, guidance and support to the festival committees;
• improving and implementing the festivals’ sponsorship and fundraising strategies;
• consolidating and improving the brand and image of the festivals;
• systematising and implementing the marketing and publicity strategies to ensure strong growth;
• creating events manuals that are easy to follow for new committees;
• designing and implementing systematic evaluation strategies.
Demonstrated successful experience in:
o Events management, particularly in the arts;
o Fundraising and sponsorship and Marketing and publicity.
• A self-starter with good organisation skills.
• Strong communication and negotiation skills.
• Understanding of the issues related to running small events in regional areas.
• Access to office resources.
Please send expression of interest addressing the selection criteria with your CV and 2 referees to John Bennett at email@example.com by COB January 25. For further information call Rosie Wickert on 0419 401 901.
We have a new committee and are already planning the seventh festival, ‘Young at Heart’. It’s going to be fun and creative and keeps the usual favourites, the Poetry Slam, a literary dinner and an ambitious schools program.
Dates for your diary – June long weekend, 9,10,11 June.
And together with The Bellingen Music Festival (BMF), BRWF have won a grant to employ a part time Arts/Cultural Festival Strategist. More on this exciting development soon!
The 2016 Bellingen Writers Festival over the June holiday weekend was yet another highly successful event, our sixth.
The committee would like to thank a myriad of people and organisations:
- The authors, for taking time out, travelling to our town and supporting our festival.
- Irina Dunn, who did a massive amount of work as Festival Director.
- Libby Feez, who not only organised the production of the festival, liaising with the production team and ensuring the smooth running of the festival, but also designed and created the program booklet and posters.
- Roby Aiken for organising the volunteers and feeding many of us over the 2 days and nights of the festival.
Without the support of the volunteers the festival would not be possible to put on.
- The people of Bellingen who billeted our authors.
Financial and Gratuitous Support
- A very big thank you goes to Officeworks for their exceedingly generous support: the prize money for the Poetry slam, the printing of the program booklets and posters, and their support for the schools program.
- The Bellingen Shire Council for the grant money we received.
- Raleigh Barn for providing the furniture which creates such a great atmosphere in the Memorial Hall.
- Kalang nursery for supplying the plants to dress the set.
- Hiresquare for materials they gave us to dress the Q & A session.
- And of course all of us, the committee members, who did the ticketing and accounts, worked on the website, proofread, organised the billeting, sold adverting, booked venues and much more.
A great team effort and congratulations to us all.